Monday, February 23, 2009

For once on cloths

I have returned to my university town after far too many weeks in the city....yes, I love being in university towns, a place where I can here the church bells toll at hour.
Today as been a beautiful day, sunny, quite chilly and windy, and as I was walking from the library to a local café for a necessary amount of caffeine to accompany my book, enjoying the feeling of being 'home' when in front of me suddenly appear a scantily clad fresher.
Aside from the chill (-5 º celsuis) is it really necessary to prance about looking like 'women of street' with all the nice cloths there are?
To be fair, the girl in question might not know any better or might not be able to afford long pants and have wear beach shorts (not to the knee or mid thigh) with tights underneath instead or she prefers this to running pants since spending more on cloths might not be an option. But that is a side matter at the moment, the fact is she feels she can do so indifferent to whether or not it might objectify her in front of others, she is just as 'well' dressed as the other millions of girls that do so.

I enjoy watching fashion, it is one of my lesser know interests, I enjoy all the new colours and cuts, I especially like seeing the new shoes and handbags. Of late however, and again in defense of girls dressed as street women everywhere, most of what comes to the stores that are reasonably priced is not worth its cost. The materials are practically see through, extremely short skirts and dresses and very low pants that are barely there.
The problem of course is that fashion beginning not to offer variety, to the extent that to be decent we must revert to either spending more or making our own (the amish might have something to their ways after all!). Now before we proceed to knitting and sewing our ankle length wool skirt and button our buttons all the way up our necks I think a separate course of action maybe necessary.....lets stop buying these barely there materials and outfits, lets only shop from the stores that make things worth the price they are charged.

Can´t afford to? Not shopping at all is an option, going to outlets and second hand shops is another, wearing what you have until it wears out is another.....if not wool, cotton, needle and thread are available in most of the local stores in the country or the garment districts in the cities, jajaja, lets hope this does remain out last resort, if not I for one could sew nothing else than those long wool skirts.

No comments: